At iSmile Family Dentistry, we want our East Hartford, CT patients to enjoy the health and well-being of their smiles for a lifetime. One of the problems that often stand in the way of this goal is tooth decay. When tooth decay reaches the internal chamber of the tooth, it can cause serious damage and pain.
The combination of root canals and dental crowns is one of the most often performed dental procedure duos. Together, this treatment and restoration work together to effectively treat a tooth that is infected and prolong the life of the natural tooth.
What is Root Canal Therapy?
root cancal procedure
First thing first, let’s start with root canal therapy. Root canal therapy is a treatment that is designed to save a tooth that has been severely damaged or infected. The goal of root canal therapy is to remove the infected tissue from inside the tooth while also disinfecting the area. Once the area has been cleaned, the tooth is then sealed to prevent any further damage.
- In order to access the internal chamber of the tooth, our dentist will need to create a small access point.
- Once the access point has been created, our dentist will then use special instruments to clean the inside of the tooth and remove the damaged or infected tissue.
- Once the area has been cleaned, our dentist will fill the area with a special material and then seal the access point.
Benefits of Root Canal Therapy
There are many benefits that come along with root canal therapy. First and foremost, root canal therapy can save a tooth that would otherwise need to be extracted. Additionally, root canal therapy can:
- Relieve pain and discomfort
- Restore the function of the tooth
- Prevent the spread of infection
What is a Dental Crown?
Once root canal therapy is completed, the tooth may be more vulnerable to breaking or becoming reinfected. In order to protect the tooth and restore its function, we may recommend placing a dental crown. A dental crown is a “cap” that is placed over the tooth. Dental crowns are made to match the color, shape, and size of your natural teeth to ensure a blendable appearance. Your crown will be custom-made and fabricated to fit snugly over your tooth.
- The process of getting a dental crown usually takes two visits. During the first visit, our dentist will prep the tooth and take impressions. These impressions will be sent to a dental lab where your crown will be custom-made.
- During your second visit, we will place the crown and make any necessary adjustments. Once the fit is perfect, the restoration will be bonded in place—capable of lasting 15 years or more with proper care.
Benefits of a Dental Crown
Once in place, dental crowns offer a number of benefits, including:
- Restoring the function of the tooth
- Protecting the tooth from further damage
- Improving the appearance of the tooth
If you have a tooth that is severely damaged or infected, root canal therapy in combination with a dental crown may be the best course of treatment. To learn more about root canal therapy and dental crowns, or to schedule a consultation, contact iSmile Family Dentistry today!
Ready to Get Started?
Call today to learn more about root canal therapy and dental crowns!